08 September 2017

New Quilt Group, New Project ...

My quilting mojo is back with a bang! My head is swimming with ideas for new patterns and quilts I want to make, after so many months it is a good feeling 😃

I have finished the appliqué on my Down the Rabbit Hole quilt and now just need to decide on colours for the pieced border (this could take some time!)

I have joined a new quilt group - The Queen Bee Quilters which meet weekly on a Thursday morning, several of my friends who worked on the Magna Carta Quilts with me are members, and I am looking forward to sewing with  them again.  I decided that a new group needed a new project 🤣

Last year I subscribed to a BOM for the Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses quilt


EPP in Liberty fabrics, I loved the fabrics so much that I appropriated some of them for my Happy Days Quilt!


Which left me with a pile of 1" square and elongated hexagon papers - what to do with them? As usual I knew I wanted to make some kind of version of Lucy's quilt but with a twist. Then I stumbled across this modern version 'Lucy's Terrace' by Jodi from Tales of Cloth where she has taken the blocks and set them on point.


I love it! Jodi has very generously shared her pattern for free, you can get it HERE

Her version uses 1 1/4" pieces and I have 1" so I may have to adjust things as I go, but it is a start. I also wanted to explore making a low volume (low contrast) quilt, something I have never done.  I have bought some new fabrics just for this quilt 😃 Jodi also does a lot of fussy cutting, so I bought 1/2m of some so I could do the same



I have decided to make most of the blocks very low volume, with the greys, mint, pale blues etc and use the coral fabrics for the setting squares. I am not sure if it will work but it is fun trying! I have cut the first few blocks.





8 comments:

  1. glad to hear you have your quilting mojo back!! Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses is such a great quilt - I loved making my scrappy version a few years ago- looking forward to following you along your journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly sound thoroughly re-energised and "in the zone"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fussy cutting is so fun. This is going to be a sweet quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see all that enthusiasm, loove all your projects , the low volume looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I just love Lucy's Terrace!!! Thanks for the link, too tempting 😆 How funny to discover Jodie a fellow Aussie quilter from a Scottish person living in England ;) Looking forward to watching your low volume version grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so gorgeous!!! I love what you are doing -- colors and everything, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your quilting mojo is back, isn't it!! Looks like you are going to have so much fun over the next little while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This fussy cutting set is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete